Sunday, October 18, 2015

How I Overcame Being Homeless in America

   There is something to be said about being homeless in America. There are not a lot of areas that have a friendly climate. As I was growing up, my godfather would lecture me on how to survive certain scenarios. One of those scenarios was homelessness.

    First on his list was, if you are homeless don't look homeless, because you would be an open target to becoming victimized. Second on his list was, if you are homeless (because you are a woman) don't sleep at night- sleep in the daytime in a quiet park, because it is safer to do so. If you are a woman, you might be raped if you sleep at night, because you never see it coming.

    So, as I found myself homeless where it doesn't snow, I listened to my godfather's advice. Something I did that he didn't teach was adopt a block. I had money coming in, but it was only temporary, so places wouldn't rent to me. I would watch over the block at night and help the people get coffee and something to eat in the morning. Then, when they were awake, sometimes I would spread out my blanket (that fit in my purse) and cat nap.

    I became real good at two minute-man naps. There was a period when I was up for 16 days, and then was only able to sleep for three hours, ending my marathon insomnia. I learned to have clothes to dry fast, because sometimes I would have to pick a tree and lean on it (because there were no bathrooms) and pee trying to make it go down only one leg. I did not have baggage. That is where homeless people drive a grocery cart of belongings. Everything I had, I could carry. 

    There were also, temporary shelters and places to go for meals and showers. Also, there were a couple of places to go to get out of the rain, but they were closed after dinner. There was only one bathroom downtown at night. The weather was warmer in some areas than others. But, walking around at night kept me warm. I learned how to avoid hypothermia. 

    I would also do random acts of kindness. If I had a jacket and could get another one, I would find someone without a jacket and give them the jacket off my back. Other homeless people would do such things for each other too. I kept losing my shoes. There are small glass shards on the pavement, even though they are cleaned daily because the janitor uses a blower instead of a broom. Other homeless people would notice I needed shoes and would help me get another pair. (One time, a gracious couple driving by noticed I didn't have any shoes and bought me a brand new pair) Oh, I felt so loved when I got those shoes. For a long period of time, they were my only pair. I cannot thank them enough.

    What ended my homelessness was when I got arrested. In jail for four months in solitary confinement, I leaned on my godfather's advice once again. If you get arrested, you reserve your phone call for when you get out. If you are hungry, eat everything (like the egg shells of an egg and the core and stem of an apple or the peel and fruit of an orange) so you are not wasteful. The officers would try to manipulate my water, so I found a way to keep the water on when they were trying to turn it off. I passed food on to others when I had extra. But, I am drifting off topic. I was homeless when I was arrested, but there was a social worker in the jail that refused to let me leave because I was homeless. 

     This social worker was patient. She was worried about me being released with no where to go. She found me a program that could help me. I am very glad that I had an extended stay and somewhere to go when I got out of jail. I made the best of it. 

    Now, four years later, I am still at the home that welcomed me out of jail. I am going to school and participating in my obligations of house responsibilities. My children and I have never been closer. My other "family members" have drifted away, but that's ok. I am making the best of it. I turned my adversities into opportunities. I am optimistic about my future and about my children. We will survive, I will survive. Thank you everyone, I hope this has helped you.  

Places that help the homeless and needy

Low Income Housing List in San Diego