Thursday, October 1, 2015

How I Overcame Mixed Beliefs


    When I talk about overcoming mixed beliefs, I am talking about reality. The reality that we are ignorant about GOD, and that as much as we try to prove GOD exists, it remains elusive. So, I scavenge knowledge from everyone I meet. Even if they only have two words for me, there is something there that they can teach me. I love to talk about GOD and the Universe.
   

   What is belief to me? Two things at once come together for me. The first is philosophy and the second is theology. There is a longtime standing controversy between both, theology and philosophy. One is the practice of proving what is not known and the other is the practice of developing steps to proving something “that is”. We don't know why something is, or how something is; we just know that "it is".
   

  Theology is a slippery slope. I say this because theology needs the practice of philosophy to prove GOD exists or you get lost in translation when theorizing on the existence of GOD. Yet philosophy is part of an art of discovering true reason (with the ability to recognize ways of proving the existence of reality without getting spiritual about it). That is part of lucidity. Philosophy explains a system of values by which one lives, and theology is used to guide the ignorant educational young through the introduction of morals. Religion is usually our first teachings as children about how to develop character and integrity.
 

   So, what is the difference between values and morals? Well, values are a standard of honor. Whereas, morals are rules and habits of conduct. What they both have in common is that both teach ethics. Ethics are rules and standards that govern one’s conduct.
 

   The more you learn philosophy, the more lucid you can stay when thoughts of religion and spirituality come up. From Socrates to Plato to Aristotle to Aquinas you can learn how to keep away from confusion and side tangents. Being lost in translation, religion is easy to get lost in. Philosophy serves as an anchor and helps you stay on topic.
   

   My first philosophy class, on overview, had me learning the differences in theology (believe it or not) and showed me the basics of different religions. There I learned that even though I was raised Catholic, some of my beliefs were based in Zen Buddhism. I was continually disappointed in my Catholic religion, because it always left me vulnerable and hoping. I did not feel fulfilled. When faced with the knowledge of Buddhism, I found that I already practiced Zen Buddhism and things naturally started to fall into place for me. Likened to an awakening of realization. Finally I was free. I felt sound from within to without. I became comfortable about a higher power.
   

   I learned that instead of conforming to a religion, I found a religion that conformed around me. I was naturally leaning towards Buddhism. Learning about religion in philosophy didn't make me lose my faith. It just helped me to redefine it.

   Vocabulary ABC's in Mental Health