Saturday, July 8, 2017

Healthcare to Americans with Mental Disabilities

     I have noticed a difference in treatment, when I go to the Emergency Room. They give me a different folder, take my information, and then kick me out. I am told that my concern is not life threatening and that I need to see my general practicioner for a referral.

     I worry about my health. I have been dizzy with a low-grade fever for months now. My uncle died young. He complained of a tummy ache for four months until they finally saw him and found that he had terminal stomach cancer. I wonder if they had found it sooner, would he be alive today. He was 46 and a schizophrenic.

     When I go to the hospital for chest pain, the ER tells me that it is just a panic attack and to stop coming in for chest pain. My cardiologist wants me to go to the ER when I experience chest pain, but the hospital sends a Psyche-Tech to evaluate my mood, and then sends  me home without treatment.

     This is a national dilemma. It hurts my feelings to be told that I cannot get treatment. I feel like the medical world just wants me to die. If I didn't have a disability, I would be seen as a patient in the hospital. Maybe it is just this one hospital, but it always happens at this hospital. I am scolded and sent on my way. It is not fair. It is not just. This is my reality.

     This only started when Obamacare was passed. For some reason, if you are mentally ill you get the shaft. The medical field doesn't care if you have insurance or not. They refuse to treat you. It is even harder to find a psychiatrist that takes your insurance. Horrible to be mentally ill in America!

Vocabulary ABC's