Wednesday, July 3, 2019

I Have Shed My Vices that were My Alternative Method of Self-Medicating

Well, well, well...all that I can say about this is well, well, well...

It has taken me a long time to finally have the right medicine working for me, so that I could wean myself off of cigarettes, gambling, and, well, for those that know me, know I rarely drink.

There is a surprise when you shed these vices. I only recommend it if you have a physician helping you. But, I notice that my pockets are heavier, my breathing better, and my mind clearer. If I backslide, which I did buying scratchers (a lottery ticket), my pockets become light. So far I have stayed smoke free for almost eleven months now. That is not easy, since people smoke around me daily. But, things are changing here in California.

What I mean is that there is a new way of treating smokers here. Simply, they have banned it from entire cities, universities, restaurants, bars, and public parks. Slowly, California is becoming smoke-free. Yay, that helps me stay quit. 

What has me concerned is my gambling. I have gone without before, but that was after buying one lottery ticket (one dollar), once a week. Now, they have scratchers, as low as one dollar or as much as 30 dollars. I usually get a $3 or $5 ticket and end up with a few of those before I quit buying them. Only lucky some of the time, but usually I get a losing ticket.

What I found, was that, (and here in California), that a pack of cigarettes now cost, on average, ten dollars a pack. The usual smoker smokes a pack a day. In one year, that is 3,650 dollars (roughly). In one year! Disability only pays 12,000 dollars a year. That is 1/3 to 1/4 of your yearly income. What would you do with that amount of money, if you had it in one sum? You could go to school, you could buy a car, you can go to public events, etc. etc.

Not to mention, time. If you think about it, a cigarette takes about 7-10 minutes to smoke. If you don't smoke anymore, you now have about an hour and a half extra time on your hands. 

I highly recommend stopping the cigarettes, over all else, because it relieves restless legs from the side-effects that come with medicine. Physicians prescribe side-effect medicine, when in fact, if the client quit smoking it would be easier to tolerate and live with the side-effects, because....guess what?  

They go away! Behavior improves! The better you can manage your treatment!

But, you can't force people to quit, only encourage them to...
Also, if you motivate them, they may be more likely to try..  

Vocabulary ABC's (what you might need to know about mental illness that no one's told before) a useful link to webpages that explain in more detail, what a topic means to the mentally ill.