Monday, July 29, 2019

Self-esteem v. Self-compassion v. Self-worth v. Self-confidence

I am told that self-esteem is when you compete yourself with others, and that self-compassion is when you compete with yourself. Where does this tie into? Emotional Intelligence.

Yeah, here we are again talking about Emotional Intelligence. I keep bringing it up, because to me it is like the big reveal of the fMRI in the field of psychiatry. This is HUGE. It has the potential to change lives.

Why would I harp on changing lives? Because one in five of us has a mental illness and at least two out of those five have either committed suicide or have considered it. (I'm guessing about the two out of five, but that is my point.) It might be higher.

What if we should look into all four? Self-esteem, self-compassion, self-worth, and self-confidence.

Sometimes, self-esteem makes us too self-confident, but self-worth grows and grows with time. 

Self-compassion is described by the Dalai Lama as, "A sensitivity to the suffering of self and others, with a deep commitment to try to relieve it (to relieve the suffering)."  

So, that is all four...where would this lead to? A deep curiosity in the field of Emotional Intelligence. And I wonder, how many emotions there really are. 


Is there really such a thing as the field of Emotional Intelligence? Hmmm...I think there should be.