Wednesday, March 30, 2022

What To Do If You Are Being Held Back from a Promotion

     I don't know how to answer this actually. On one hand,
you can wait it out. On another hand, you can look for another job. Finally, if you have three hands...ha ha...you can hire a lawyer. I have done all three. 
     At the moment, I am being held back from a promotion. I feel as if it is being halted because I am disabled. I know I am more than qualified for the position and feel the initial stab of stigma. I wonder if I should hire a lawyer but the last time I hired a lawyer, the pressure was too great even for a seasoned fighter against stigma. I was working in Engineering at the San Diego Trolley. I hired a lawyer to help keep my job. Yet, after five administrative leaves in one year and a slap in the face psych eval was the last blood drop in my heart. So, I quit. The lawyer said that I should not have done that, but I felt that even he was not strong enough to take on the San Diego Trolley. (and he wanted more money up front which I did not have at the time)
     So, I am looking for another job. I am hoping someone will pick me up according to my achievements and not too stiff to have my disability hold me back. I have over 70 college classes under my belt. Two AA's in Psychology, one BA in Psychology and one minor in Counseling and Social Change. Also, I am in the process of acquiring a Masters Certificate in Restorative Justice Practices and Trauma Informed Care. I am only applying to places that require a BA and not much else and even they have problems with my disability. It hurts. I will be honest. I worked my butt off and I still get the, "oh you just weren't good enough for the position and we found someone more qualified". How many times have I heard that?
     If I were to hire a lawyer now...when my career is in its infancy, I will tell you, it is career suicide. And lord knows, I want to extend my reach not squash it. So, I wait. I wait for my promotion and I wait for that interview. In any case, I should hear something soon. Hopefully, it is what I want to hear.