Saturday, February 27, 2016

How I Overcame Stigma

   How I Overcame Stigma. Well, in almost every person there resides a need to know. To be able to fill that need, I became open
about my mental illness. I don't yell it from the street corner, but if in conversation, if the opportunity presents itself, I say it. I say, at this opportunity, "I need to tell you something, and I hope you don't take it wrong- I am mentally ill". Most people just keep talking, but there are some where the trepidation is palpable. 
   Sometimes, you just have to jump into it with both feet. Sink or Swim. It seems that the more you talk about mental illness, the more you see that even average people know or are related to someone who is mentally ill.
   My bravado has gotten better with age and education. The more educated I am about my own mental health, the braver I am at speaking out, because the more you know the more confident you become.
   So, be brave, but not stupid. If the moment is not quite right, maybe you need a little more time before you can explain this question to people, "What is mental illness like?" If you can have the fortitude, and can answer this, you are ready to be confident about being open about your mental illness.
   Stigma, well, eventually will wane. Your mental illness is not going to go away, but clear out the cobwebs of ignorance and give education to those whom want to listen. You might surprise yourself at how freeing being open can be. The first step is always a doozy. 
    
Remember the Vocabulary ABC's

If you find this blog more helpful than first thought, please share.

For young adults, I have on the side bar blogs resources that can help you find services that you might not have known you are eligible for. It is not a crime to accept help. It is your necessary due.   
For young adults (or parents of young adults)